DESIGN AND PUBLISH DIGITAL MAGAZINES & E-BOOKS
5+ Hours of Content, Certificate of Completion, and 49 Lectures!
A revolution is happening in the world of publishing as tablet computers and pixels are replacing paper and ink. Designers need to consider the limitations of a small screen and the advantages of an interactive medium, and at the same time, learn the new technology required to produce their work. This course will explore some of the basic issues faced by designers of eMags and eBooks, and the basics of getting them onto tablet devices using Adobe InDesign CS6 and CS5.5 in combination with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite (DPS).
*Who Should Take this Course?*
- *Print designers and producers* who want to learn the essentials of creating digital content for iPad and Android tablets.
- *Print designers who aren’t familiar with production techniques for tablet*, and who want to begin using some of the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite (DPS) tools.
- *Beginner print, web, and mobile, designers* who want to explore the essentials of understanding essential principals of interactive design.
- *Writers interested in producing their own e-books or mobile blowzines*. These students should please note: the foundations of design will not be covered in this course.
- *Any of the above working with tablet devices not running Mac iOS*, such as Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Samsung Galaxy, and other Android devices. These students should please note: the design content of this course will translate regardless of the device, however some technical content covered may not be applicable.
- *PC users*. Students not working in Windows OS should please note: although content will be demonstrated in Mac OS X, they should easily be able to follow along.
- *Interactive and User Interface designers* who want to explore how users and readers might access interactive content. These students should please note: this course WILL NOT cover programming apps, although the process of designing them will be touched on, briefly.
- *Knowledge of essential 2-D graphic design principals*, such as form, space and plane, typography, color.
- *Introduction to Adobe InDesign* or equivalent knowledge. Students will need to have knowledge of essential print production techniques using Adobe Creative Suite: building pages in InDesign, importing elements from Photoshop and Illustrator, and exporting pages in .pdf format.
- *Adobe InDesign CS6* (30-day trial download available), or CS5.5. Students wanting a hands-on experience should please note: following most content and lessons will be possible in CS5. Students using versions earlier than CS5 will be able to layout content, but won’t be able to explore most, if not all, of the technical content relating to Adobe Digital Publishing Suite (DPS).
- *Adobe Acrobat Reader*
- *Stuffit Expander* or other software to open .zip files
All course materials are downloadable for viewing on any device. After completion of the course, you will receive a verifiable certificate of completion.
“With this you will be armed to enter into the new wave of digital publishing. This is worth every dime I spent on it and way more. I have a full chest of info to fall back on as I step into the world of digital publishing. There is so much here I can come back any time to get what I need.” – Rick T.
“Highly recommended. Joseph Caserto strengthens your ability to add engaging interactions with the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite. Highly recommended for anyone interested in designing a digital publication for a tablet audience.” – Chris D.
THE EXPERT – Joseph Caserto
Joseph is a design professional, educator, and consultant. He has nearly 20 years of experience as a publication art director and designer, and has been a staff member of several national magazines. He’s worked with publications like BusinessWeek, Marie Claire, PC, TV Guide, and Vibe.
Joseph is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Digital Communications and Media at NYU in the Design Digital Arts and Film Department of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, and is a former Adjunct Lecturer at the City College of New York, in the Art Department’s Electronic Design and Multimedia Program.
FTC: 9to5Toys is reader supported, we may earn income on affiliate links
Subscribe to the 9to5Toys YouTube Channel for all of the latest videos, reviews, and more!